Theme: Following the Laws of the Lord
1. Exodus 20: [The Ten Commandments — see below]
2. The Book of Sirach 15: 14. “When God, in the beginning, created man, he made him subject to his own free will.”
3. Psalm 119: 1. “Happy those …who walk by the teaching of the Lord.”
1. God have us laws or commandments to follow.
2. We have been given free will. Therefore, we can choose to follow God’s laws or not.
3. Generally, those who follow God’s laws are happier [and treat others better] than those that do not.
Puppet Script (two puppets, Jane and Fred)
Good morning Fred.
Good morning Jane.
How many rules have you broken today?
Jane, I just got up!
Ok, that means you may have only broken about 5 rules so far.
Very funny. I don’t always break the rules!
Fred, every day you get into trouble for breaking some rule, either at home or at school or even at church!
Well, it’s hard for me to remember all the rules. Brush my teeth. Make my bed. Don’t throw your clothes on the floor. Don’t forget to eat breakfast. Don’t be late for school. Don’t talk when the teacher is talking. Don’t through paper in the bottle-recycling bin. Don’t make fun of other people. Don’t ride my bicycle on the wrong side of the road. Don’t be late for supper. Don’t set up a Facebook Page. Don’t make long phone calls or use up my texting allowance too quickly. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!
I know, but most of the rules are for your own good.
I wish there where no rules!
If we had no rules, everyone would just do what they want to do.
Yes, I know. Wouldn’t that be great!
Uh hah. So, if your friend Billy wanted to take and keep your bicycle, that would be OK with you.
NO! OK then. One rule would be OK. No stealing.
Uh hahhhh. And if your brother wanted to put your pet mouse into his pet snake tank, that would be OK?
Are you kidding me, he would get eaten. OK, one more rule. No putting pet mice into snake tanks.
And if …
OK! I get it. We need some rules.
How many of you think laws and rules are important?
What would happen if there were no traffic laws?
- No Stop signs
- No One-way Traffic signs
- No “No Parking” signs
How many of you have family rules?
What are some of your family rules?
What are things you cannot do in your home or car?
- Don’t be mean to your brother or sister.
- Don’t play with electrical outlets.
- Don’t wear shoes in the house.
- Don’t talk to strangers.
What are things you must do in your home or car?
- Brush your teeth after you eat.
- Lock the doors when you leave the house.
- Put on seat belts.
What happens when you do not follow home rules?
What are some Church School rules?
- Don’t talk while the teacher is talking.
- Raise your hand when you want to speak or answer a question.
- Be quiet when you enter leave and enter the church.
What are some of God’s rules?
The Ten Commandments *
The Golden Rule **
Why or when is it difficult to follow the laws of man or the commandments of God?
- When we pressured by our peers to do something bad.
- When we want to be “liked” by other people.
- When we see that some people have more than we do.
- When someone hurts us [and we want to hurt them back]
*The Ten Commandments:
- I am the Lord, your God.
- Thou shall bring no false idols before me.
- Do not take the name of the Lord in vain.
- Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.
- Honor thy father and thy mother.
- Thou shall not kill/murder.
- Thou shall not commit adultery (i.e., be faithful to your husband or wife).
- Thou shall not steal.
- Thou shall not bear false witness against your neighbor (i.e., do not lie).
- Thou shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor.
** The Golden Rule
“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”